Ethel's Gourmet Kitchen Bed and Breakfast
1070 Hwy. 1, Kalona, IA 52247
Phone: 319-656-2481 or 319-936-6131
Come and enjoy gourmet food and old-fashioned hospitality in this beautiful, cozy, and comfortable air conditioned country Bed and Breakfast.
Relax on the screened-in deck and enjoy the flowers and shrubs that enhance the home, as you observe horse drawn buggies passing by or recline in the large, lower level common room.
Dessert and beverage of choice served each evening.
Awards: 2012 INN-Credible Stays Award -- "BEST GUEST ACCOMMODATIONS"
2011 INN-Credible Stays Award: "Best Local Attractions"
2010 INN-Credible Stays Award: "Best to Recommend to Others"
2008 Bed & Breakfast Innkeeper of the Year - Iowa Lodging Association
Number of Rooms: 2
Private Bath: 1 Shared Bath: 1
Room Rates: $ 98.00-$ 125.00
Accepted Payment Methods: Cash, Personal Checks, Travelers Checks, Money Orders.
Chocolates and Bathrobes in Guest Rooms.
A Full Gourmet Breakfast.
Visit Kalona's many unique shops (quilts, crafts, antiques, gifts), Kalona Historical Village and Quilt Museum, Mennonite Museum and Archives, Amish stores, or take a "Kalona Byways Tour" of the countryside. This takes the scenic backroads with a guide explaining the world of the Amish who continue to flow with the seasons and live the simple, wholesome lives of our great-grandparents. You'll see their homes, schools, farms and beautifully manicured gardens as you pass by.
Tours: April 15 - October 31
Monday - Saturday (Except Holidays)
Register at Kalona Area Chamber of Commerce
$25.00/room deposit with reservation.
Cancellation fee imposed if cancelled within 2 weeks of reservation.
Children - please inquire.
All rooms are NON-SMOKING.
Open all year around.
Innkeeper - Ethel Bontrager
Single, energetic, fun-loving, Christian, retired nurse and award-winning chef,
enjoys meeting people,entertaining, gourmet cooking, gardening, landscaping, and flowers.
Speaks English, Spanish, and Pennsylvania Dutch.
Her other interests include crafts, traveling, skiing, camping,
and spending time with family and friends.
Very active with internationals.
FOR RESERVATIONS, CONTACT:
Innkeeper: Ethel Bontrager
Phone: (319) 656-2481 or (319) 936-6131
1070 Hwy. 1, Kalona, IA
"In the heart of the friendly Amish Mennonite Community."
1 mile north of Kalona on Hwy 1 (From Hwy 218, 9 miles west on Hwy 22, then 1 mile north)
17 miles southwest of Iowa City (home of the University of Iowa & the Iowa Hawkeyes)
30 miles southeast of the Amana Colonies
48 miles south of Cedar Rapids
15 miles north of Washington
2 miles from an excellent 9-hole golf course
Directory of B Bs
- Iowa Bed and Breakfasts By Name
- Iowa Bed & Breakfasts By City
- Iowa Bed & Breakfasts By Region
- Associate Members
- Adams Street Bed and Breakfast
- Big Grove Village B&B
- Bloomin' Iris Bed & Breakfast
- Blue Belle Inn
- Brown Street Inn
- Butler House on Grand
- Carriage House Bed & Breakfast
- Country Heritage B & B
- Crescent View B&B
- Cupola Inn B&B
- Dairy Barn B & B
- Deb's Bed and Breakfast
- Designer Inn and Suites
- Die Heimat Country Inn Bed and Breakfast
- Four Mounds Inn Bed and Breakfast
- The Gables on Geneseo
- Glidden House Bed and Breakfast
- The Green Leaf Place Bed and Breakfast
- Guest House Bed and Breakfast
- Hancock House Bed and Breakast
- Hearten Bed and Breakfast
- Heavenly Habitat Bed and Breakfast
- Hotel Greenfield
- Hotel Pattee
- Klemme House Bed and Breakfast
- Loya's Little House Bed & Breakfast
- Mandolin Inn
- Marsh House Bed and Breakfast
- McNeill Stone Mansion Bed and Breakfast
- The 1900 Inn
- Our Tara Inn
- Pryor House
- Queen Anne Bed and Breakfast
- Quiet Walker Lodge
- Richards House Bed and Breakfast
- Riverside Bed and Breakfast
- Sisters Inn
- Squiers Manor Bed and Breakfast
- Squirrel's Nest Bed and Breakfast
- Trimble Parker Guest House
- 2325 Grande Ave Homestay
- Two Bears Lodge
- Valkommen House Bed and Breakfast
- Victoria's Vineyard Bed and Breakfast
- White Lions Bed and Breakfast
- Whiterock Resort
- Winborn's Bed and Breakfast
- Woodland Bed and Breakfast
- Yellow Swan Bed and Breakfast